Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Settlers of Catan

Settlers is a great game, but it is awfully hard to track down if you want to buy it! My brother and his girlfriend Kristen were planning to buy it and bring it up to Michigan with them for this next week when we're all together. I suggested getting it off of ebay since they couldn't find it in any stores. So they shipped it to Kristen's parents' house because they figured it would arrive while they were there. Well, Tim called me today and said it hadn't gotten there yet and they are planning to leave tomorrow (before the mail comes).

So I decided to see if I could find it anywhere. I went to Toys 'R' Us tonight and asked about it. The guy I asked said, "Yeah, other people have asked about that game but I haven't found it yet." (So why don't they stock it by now, I ask myself?) So as I was walking out, one of the cashiers who was just standing around (the place was absolutely deserted) suggested 2 other places I might go: Castle Comics store (sounds kind of scary) and Game Stop at Levee Plaza. Well, to make a long story short, I drove around for a while but didn't find either place. So I decided to go online to ebay and see what I could do about ordering it and sending it up to MY parents' house so we can have it for next week! I just finished ordering it.

So, we'll see if we ever get to play it. I played it at the Duttons a few years ago and it's a very fun game!

On a side note, doesn't this sound as if my brother and his girlfriend are making "family-type" purchases together?? Hmm, I can't wait to meet this Kristen in 2 days!

7 comments:

La Profesora said...

i've never heard of this game. what does it involve?

bethoven said...

It's a board game with similarities to Risk or Monopoly, although the basic idea is to accumulate wealth by having land and roads and bartering with others for wool, wood, and stone to "build" things. It's a pretty long game, but somewhat addicting! If you've ever heard of the computer game Age of Empires, it really reminds me of that!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...you're sooooo funny. Yes, Settlers of Catan is a great game, and No, it's not a "family-type" purchase. It's just the hottest board game out there right now, so it takes two people to try to hunt it down. So that's what we did. Family-type purchases. You're crazy.

Now if you don't mind, I need to go. I'm helping Kristen pick out an armoire. See ya soon.

Annie said...

Beth! I just bought this a couple months ago on Ebay. I got the extended version (the extra box so more people can play) with the original game for $40 which included shipping. Not too bad. Good luck finding it though! If I see it, I will shoot you an email!!

Amanda T said...

my husband and i love this game. we have settlers and expansion pack. Plus we have cities and knights and that expansion pack. (The city and knights just adds a lot more to the game.) We get together often with friends from church to play this game. Hope your game comes in so that you can play it all together.

kiwi said...

fun game!!! Nisha bought it for dad when she was still at BJU! we'll have to play together sometime...i hope you're having fun in Michigan! : )

bethoven said...

BTW, the game never DID arrive.