Sunday, July 28, 2013

Misconception #2: Follow the rules and life will be easy.

[This is the 2nd in a series on the Top 10 Misconceptions some MKs face.]

I am the oldest of 4 children. I liked to be my parents' helper. I enjoy helping. Partly I think it's because life was easier when you were an obedient child. As I've grown in my understanding of myself over the years, I've discovered that I enjoy being comfortable. (I would assume most people do.) I've also learned that I am a perfectionist, and I like to have a checklist and rules to follow.

I've found that it's relatively easy for me to follow the rules--"do this," "don't do that," check the boxes, do the right things, "don't drink, smoke, or chew or go with those who do" but ultimately I started to realize that maybe I'm doing these things just because life is easier that way. Of course, it is important to train children to do the right things, but ultimately it means nothing unless it gets to the HEART.

God never promised us an easy life. His ultimate goal for our lives is to bring glory to Himself. That may include some hard things. His path for our lives can be filled with hard circumstances, but that's not where our joy comes from. Maybe these hard situations in our lives will reveal a need in our lives that we never would have faced had we not been confronted with this hard situation. As I've heard Amy Baker say many times, "Hard is hard, but hard is not bad."

1 Samuel 16:7 reminds us that man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. I need to be constantly evaluating my heart's responses and question, "Why do I do the things that I do?"

Reality: We need proper heart motivation.

No comments: