Whew. (Big sigh of relief.)
We've made it through another Grandparents' Day at FCS. It's quite a production! I'm not generally involved in the picture taking, food preparation, registration, or any of that stuff that goes on, my "baby" is the Grandparents' Day Program! We had a packed auditorium for our program this morning. The theme was "Raised to Praise," and each class is given an opportunity to present a song or skit or whatever else their class (i.e., teacher) wants to come up with. Then I get to make up the PowerPoint, help run the sound, and play the piano for it! Oh, and I found out about 2 weeks ago that we were bussing the preschool kids over from the Community Center across the parking lot so we had to have a song for them, too! (They're the only music class I DO teach now.) (In case you're wondering we sang "The Butterfly Song"--that a lot of them knew from last year--and did "Grandma's Glasses.")
The program went quite well, and thankfully I had an aide (thankfully) to help run sound. I was able to find the right pictures for the PowerPoints and all, too. And find enough piano kids (of mine and other teachers') to play for a 15-minute piano prelude. Before the prelude, I put a few pictures together for a presentation and threw in some quotes from a forwarded email. I'll share some of these with you.
These are on the theme "What is a Grandparen?"--taken from papers written by a class of 8-year-olds:
1. Grandparents are a lady and a man who have no little children of her own. They like other people's.
2. A grandfather is a man and a grandmother is a lady!
3. Grandparents don't have to do anything except be there when we come to see them. They are so old they shouldn't play hard or run. It is good if they drive us to the shops and give us money.
4. When they take us for walks, they slow down past things like pretty leaves and caterpillars.
5. Usually grandmothers are fat but not too fat to tie your shoes.
6. They wear glasses and funny underwear.
7. They can take their teeth and gums out.
8. Grandparents don't have to be smart.
9. They have to answer questions like "why isn't God married?" and "How come dogs chase cats?"
10. Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if you don't have television because they are the only grown ups who lke to spend time with us.