Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pulled Over

This is kind of embarrassing, so I've debated about whether to post this tale or not--but it makes an interesting story, so here goes...

Basically, I was pulled over for the first time in Indiana on Sunday! After church got out around 12:30 I was driving over to West Lafayette for an Honors Piano Recital at 1:30 at Purdue's Fowler Hall (plus I stopped for lunch at the Taco Bell drive-through and got one of those new Crunchwrap Supremes), so I was in kind of a hurry to make it there since I didn't want to be late because my student was slated for first on the recital. Anyway, I wasn't being as cautious of a driver as I usually am. Right before crossing over the bridge into West Lafayette, I made a bad judgment call. The light turned yellow, and it was one of those "do-I-stop-or-do-I-go?" kind of moments. I chose to go, and the light turned red as I went through. You usually know right away if what you've done is questionable, because--what do you do?--you look in the rearview mirror! (Just that act alone implies guilt, I believe.) Anyway, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a police car pull out from the side road, right on my tail. Thankfully he turned his lights off until after we'd crossed the bridge, then he pulled me over. I knew exactly why he was pulling me over, and I told him I had made a bad judgment call and I should have stopped. He pulled my record ("clean as a whistle") and just told me to be more careful.

I deserved it. Actually, this was the second time in that drive over that I had blazed through a yellow light. And I just realized that I've been getting a little too lax in my driving. I really do need to be more careful. So it was a good wake-up call, even though I probably should have gotten a ticket (but I'm thankful I didn't get one)!

I've been that way in some other areas of my life, too. (Not as careful with what I watch, what I allow myself to think about, spending time in God's Word...) Sometimes we get tired of doing the right things, but that is not an excuse not to do them anymore. If our focus is on pleasing God just because of WHO God is and from what He expects of me, and not just what I feel like doing, or what everyone else is doing, that gives us the energy and drive to do it. No matter what the choices others are making, and whether they are called into account for their actions or not, I still need to make right choices.

Galatians 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." (KJV)

2 comments:

Annie said...

Well, well, well......how does it feel to get caught "red" handed...lol. Now you have joined the club. I am proud that you didnt break down in tears like I probably would have... Thanks for the reminder of cautious driving. There are spies lurking around every corner......

Roberto said...

If you want to be technical, I ran three red lights in one day. I was more than half-way through the intersection when they turned red, but according to the letter of the law, I ran them. Oops.